IBS Young Scientist Fellowship (YSF)
- Purpose and Background
With the vision of “Making Discoveries for Humanity and Society,” the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) was founded in 2011 by the Korean government to promote basic sciences in Korea. Twenty-six IBS Research Centers have been launched and each Center is operated by internationally renowned scientists.
This year, the IBS introduces a new program called “Young Scientist Fellowship (YSF)” to play an active role in fostering next-generation basic science leaders. The YSF offers opportunities for young, promising scientists to do their own basic research work in one of the IBS Research Centers while sharing ideas and utilizing our state-of-art infrastructures. We encourage challenging and high-risk basic research within the special nature of each RC.
We hope that the YSF program functions as a stepping stone for our research fellows to be appointed as independent principal investigators at the prestige institutions worldwide.
- Within 5 years of obtaining a PhD or under the age of 40 with a PhD
- Benefit and Condition
- The YSF provides KRW 150-300 million per year
- YSF fellows will be appointed for 3 years with possible extension of 2 years
- YSF fellows should be physically relocated to one of the IBS Centers
- YSF fellows are eligible to apply for the IBS Career Development Award (CDA)*
* A research fund that can be used in the newly appointed affiliation after completing YSF
- Selection Process: Two Steps
- Letter of intent
- Submission deadline: ~ July 31, 2016
- Review and discussion by Evaluation Panel members
- Invitation to submit full proposals: ~ August 31, 2016
- Full proposal
- Submission deadline: ~ September 30, 2016
- Review by Evaluation Panel members
- Invitation for an on-site interview: ~ October 31, 2016
- Interview and presentation: ~ November 30, 2016
- Selection and announcement of final YSF fellows: ~ December 31, 2016
- How To Apply
- Download the letter of intent form from the following link: http://www.ibs.re.kr/ysf
- Fill out the form in English and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single PDF file no later than July 31, 2016 (KST). The title of email should be “Applicant Name_YSF”.